Are you tired of receiving junk mail in your email inbox and mailbox? Do you get mounds of credit card and insurance offers? Are you concerned about identity theft?
Americans get about 5 million tons of junk mail a year. Junk mail is also a breeding ground for identity theft.
Below are some actions you can do now to help the environment, protect your identity, and stop the annoying offers and temptation of credit.
- You can opt out of from receiving offers in your mailbox for 5 years (electronically) or permanently (by mail). This doesn’t catch them all, but only the 4 major Consumer Reporting Agencies that share your information. (5-10 minutes)
- Get rid of some of that SPAM- Sign up to get off of Commercial Email Lists. (1-5 minutes)
- DMAchoice.org– Gives you options on controlling direct mail from 3,600 organizations. Can be time consuming if you do have certain magazines you want. Collect a batch of mail and start. (10-30 minutes)
- Take a few minutes and go through your email and unsubscribe from all those lists offers you never read. There should be a link at the bottom of the email. (10-30 minutes)
- Create an email account for anything you sign up for that isn’t important. This is now your ‘Junk Email Address’. (5 minutes)
- Do you still have a landline? Sign up for the National Do Not Call Registry. (5-10 minutes)
- There is also a Deceased Do Not Contact List if you should ever need it. (5 minutes)
It can take a few months before you begin to see any results in your boxes, so be patient.
Action Item: Do one the above now and schedule a time to finish the list later. Save in Evernote or bookmark this page in your browser.