I have been a lifelong user of U-Haul for moving trucks, but now I am switching allegiances. After a friend recommended Penske and I saw dozens of yellow Penske trucks on my 1,400 mile road trip, I decided to investigate Penske for our upcoming cross state move.
I am now convinced that Penske is a better choice for long distance moving over the traditional U-Haul, so I’ve added Penske to my Tips for Moving list and given several reasons why Penske trumps Uhaul.
5 Reasons Why Penske is Better than U-Haul for Long Moves
1. Newer Trucks- Penske replaces nearly half of their self move fleet a year, so you’re guaranteed a truck with low miles and high quality condition. The truck I drove had only 56,000 miles. U-haul trucks are traditionally older and in less than desired condition.
2. Unlimited Miles- With Penske you don’t have to worry about milage on one way moves. With U-haul there is the stress of being penalized for every mile driven over the allotted miles given. This can easily happen by taking a wrong turn or using an alternate route due to bad weather.
3. 7 Day Rental- 7 day rental gives extra time for packing, driving, and unloading. The extra time is a big plus for a long move. U-haul allows only 5 days.
4. Comparable Price or Cheaper than U-Haul- With Penske the price is comparable or cheaper than U-haul depending on which state you are traveling from and what state the truck will be dropped off in. Penske gives a discount for AAA members, military, and students too!
5. Guaranteed Truck Rentals at quoted prices- No fear that your truck or trailer won’t be on site or that you’ll be charged more. U-haul only guarantees your truck on site if you reserve it within 48 hours and has a history of overbooking and thus overcharging above the quoted price.
6. Great Customer Service I had to add another. A few days before my move date, I received a phone call to ensure my order was correct and to inquire if I had any questions. At my Penske pickup and drop off locations I had enthusiastic customer service and both reps had positive views about the company.
Penske is also Business Friendly with a large commercial fleet of vans, semis, and trucks.
Based on my experience and the large numbers of Penske moving trucks and semis on the road, I believe Penske has quietly overtaken Uhaul as the go to company for long DIY moves.
Consider Penske for your next out of state moving van rental needs.
Have you used either Penske or U-haul? I’d love to hear about your experience in the comments below!